Apple To Try To Kill the Mouse (Again)?

Ty Dunitz January 24 Apple

There’s really no reason to get up in arms every time an Apple patent is dissected, but this is particularly interesting – especially if you’re a die-hard fan of a good, sturdy mouse. In other words: if you hated the Magic Trackpad, you’re really gonna hate this.

Apple is apparently looking into yet more options to kill the world’s favourite rodent-inspired electronic peripheral, and one of them is this hybrid motion-sensitive keyboard. Four sensors located around the keys track the motion of your right hand, which you wave around like a Mac magician, moving the cursor on-screen. Your left hand is used for key modifiers and whatnot.

Of course, you have to switch in and out of magic hovering motion mouse mode from regular typing mode – which, honestly, starts to make this idea seem less and less viable. Sure, this tech might not be targeting the traditional mouse at all, and could find a good home in some sort of future super-small MacBook… but is it really good enough to replace a traditional multitouch pad? Personally, I don’t think so.

Written by Ty Dunitz

Ty is an illustrator who stays up too late, and has to wear glasses. You can follow him on Twitter if you want to (@glitchritual), but he's just gonna throw your stupid PR crap in the garbage, so don't email him.
SEE MORE ARTICLES BY "Ty Dunitz"

Comments

Apuleyo
January 24th, 2011 at 11:56 am

I love the mouse, and i think that the only way to kill it, it’s with the touch technology.

Adrian
January 24th, 2011 at 5:39 pm

I have used touch screens for over 10 years
I hate having to clean the things all the time :P

Zbeast
January 26th, 2011 at 2:34 pm

sorry, I like the mouse.. even on a laptop with a trackpad if i’m doing something that requires me to move around the screen a lot I will use a mouse with it.

Add a touch screen to the laptop… don’t frigging take away functionality by trying to kill off the mouse.

Ukjoesaar
January 28th, 2011 at 3:09 pm

I like a trackpad.

Mike Ebert
January 28th, 2011 at 10:12 pm

I don’t see this killing off the mouse, just like virtual keyboards (think cameras tracking fingers or keyboards on touch screens) don’t do well at replacing real keyboards–humans really like to have a tactile response. Holding a mouse and pressing a key works with the human brain better.

I also don’t like to have to share my keyboard space with my cursor tool, especially for gaming. There’s very little that even comes close to replacing a mouse in a first-person shooter or real-time strategy game.

That being said, I won’t say that there is no application for an idea like this, just that it’s not a mouse-killer.

Alexander Wallin
February 7th, 2011 at 5:50 pm

Do you have any sources on this? That drawing don’t look so Apple.