There are memes out there that make fun of people who pretend to be geeks because “geek is chic” in 2011. In many cases, it has given the real geeks of the world a bad name.
Thanks to the good folks at Uncommongoods, you can keep a good test on your wrist at all times. Just whip this puppy out to so-called geeks and ask them to decipher it. No, it’s not good enough for them to know that 3! is six just because it’s at the bottom. They need to know that it means 3 factorial (basic stuff for many juniors in high school, let alone a true geek).
If they can get 4 or 5 of them right, they might be a geek. Half or more and you’re on the right track. If they can get double-digits correct, hand them a pocket protector and initiate them into your club. Here’s a cheat sheet, just in case you need a little reminder:
- Legendre’s constant is a mathematical constant occurring in a formula conjectured by Adrien-Marie Legendre to capture the asymptotic behavior of the prime-counting function. Its value is now known to be exactly 1.
- A joke in the math world: An infinite number of mathematicians walk into a bar. The first one orders a beer. The second orders half a beer. The third, a quarter of a beer. The bartender says, “You’re all idiots,” and pours two beers.
- A unicode character XML “numeric character reference.”
- Modular arithmetic, also known as clock arithmetic, is a system of arithmetic for integers, where numbers “wrap around” after they reach a certain value. The modular multiplicative inverse of 2 (mod 7) is the integer /a/ such that 2*/a/ is congruent to 1 modulo 7.
- The Golden Mean…reworked a little.
- Three factorial (3*2*1=6)
- A repeating decimal that is proven to be exactly equal to 7 with Cauchy’s Convergence Test.
- Graphical representation of binary code.
- An example of a base-4 number, which uses the digits 0, 1, 2 and 3 to represent any real number.
- A Binomial Coefficient, also known as the choose function. 5 choose 2 is equal to 5! divided by (2!*(5-2)!)
- A hexadecimal, or base-16, number.
- A radical