Kevin Rose has always been known as an “ideas guy”. His ventures haven’t always paid off as well as they could have with Revision3, Pownce, and Milk all selling for less than many would have thought and with Digg dropping out of prominence in the social news arena, but he’s tasted success with all of them at one point or another.
Google is banking on that by moving him to Google Ventures after trying him out on the Google+ team for a short stint. Rose has had success in picking winners with a portfolio that has include Twitter, path, OMGPOP, and Foursquare.
Three-year-old Google Ventures claims to have a “healthy disregard for the impossible” and offers a hands-on approach to venture funding. Their portfolio has over 100 companies and includes HubSpot, RetailMeNot, Nest, and Miso.
- Wait, did Google just hire Kevin Rose? (venturebeat.com)
- Digg, Milk creator Kevin Rose said hired by Google (electronista.com)
- Google hires Digg founder Kevin Rose (9to5google.com)
- What Will Kevin Rose Do At Google? (gizmodo.com.au)
- Confirmed: Kevin Rose and the Milk team join Google (venturebeat.com)