There are shows that have more viewers and shows that have more buzz, but few shows demand the absolute loyalty of its fans the way that Game of Thrones commands. As we approach season 3, the first 1-minute trailer for the upcoming season is loaded with enough cool-sounding statements that even someone like myself who has never watched it is intrigued.
Here’s a breakdown of the one-liners that fill the trailer followed by the epic trailer itself.
- “It’s been a long time, my old friend.” – Not a big deal, but since it’s uttered while Peter Hayden Dinklage first enters a scene, it’s worth noting.
- “Death is coming for everyone and everything.” – Wow. Morbid.
- “The darkness that will swallow the dawn.” - Okay, so it’s a sentence fragment. That doesn’t take away from its poetic awesomeness.
- “Show them how it feels to lose what they love.“ – That’s cold blooded. This series is starting to sound pretty hardcore.
- “I’m going to light the biggest fire the north has ever seen.” – The story takes place in winter, so I’m sure the north will be appreciative.
- “Everyone is mine to torment.” – Whoever the little boy/girl is who spoke the line, he/she is obviously spoiled by his/her parents and needs some discipline in his/her life.
- “There’s a beast in every man and it stirs when you put a sword in his hand.” – Testosterone. It’s boiling now.
- “The revenge you want will be yours in time.” – Again, wow. These people are pretty mean to each other, aren’t they?
Fine. You got me, HBO. I’ll have to check out the first two seasons now so I can catch up before season 3 begins on March 31.