Super Mario Bros. Visualized as One Really, Really Long Level

This is absolutely the coolest thing I’ve seen in days and I’m not letting you get away without seeing it.

I kinda like how Super Mario Bros. is one of those things that gets used as a benchmark and/or guinea pig to test out other technologies and whatnot. What you see before you is no exception. As part of his thesis at the Hannover University of Applied Science and Art, student Andreas Heikaus has put SMB to the test in an exploration of applying familiar computer graphics to a new environment.

I’m a LITTLE disappointed that he uses the warp zones and whatnot, and that the previous level gets deleted when he reaches a new one, but this is still rad beyond all belief. No matter how many times you see it remade, Super Mario Bros. just never stops being cool. Ever. EVER.

Ever.

Written by Ty Dunitz

Ty is an illustrator who stays up too late, and has to wear glasses. You can follow him on Twitter if you want to (@glitchritual), but he's just gonna throw your stupid PR crap in the garbage, so don't email him.
SEE MORE ARTICLES BY "Ty Dunitz"

Comments

Alex
July 11th, 2010 at 11:03 pm

I am very, very impressed. For those who didn’t click through to see the HD version on Vimeo, the guy did this for his “Bachelor thesis at the University of Applied science and art Hannover”. Obviously the technical portion of the piece is about matching CG elements with live-action footage, and he does a great job with that, but I also really like the way he executed it artistically. He made some great design decisions, so cheers to him.

Nikki j
July 11th, 2010 at 11:04 pm

There was this guy who was called mario and he ran right for a bit and jumped onto a walking mushroom guy who was walking left and killed him and then he hit a brick above its head and it raised slightly before returning to its original position then he hit another brick further one which had a question mark on it and a mushroom came out of the top and and travelled right and fell on Mario as he was running by and made him big then mario jumped over a pipe…

Shaun
July 11th, 2010 at 11:05 pm

I’m on reddit almost 24/7 and I hadn’t seen it before this submission.

Blink Web Design
July 15th, 2010 at 8:21 am

I have to, that is one of the coolest thing i have seen thanks for shair

Dr. Pepper
July 15th, 2010 at 5:48 pm

I’m sorry, but this is not impressive. I was assuming by the title that the creator would edit between the totaling sequences and parts where the cameraman essentially stopped and waited. It makes it hard for the viewer to stay attached, especially when they know what they’re watching is “long.” Just saying…

Rynosaur
July 15th, 2010 at 9:10 pm

EVER!

Kris
July 16th, 2010 at 3:04 pm

Kinda lame honestly. Sure, the idea is cool and the execution is visually impressive, but he’s a pretty crappy player. He misses a lot of “?” blocks and uses Warp Zones. I also don’t like how in the beginning going “underground” takes Mario to the street, but this is not consistently used in levels that are entirely underground. I think it would be much better if he had somebody that was actually good at the game recording it.

Squilliam Fancyson
July 17th, 2010 at 4:10 pm

Hey…

There was no 6 in the countdown.

I feel cheated.

Coleman Hawkins
September 12th, 2010 at 8:54 am

Play online super mario http://mario-bros.net

lose weight fast
September 17th, 2011 at 12:16 pm

I’ll
back again for sure, thanks for great article :D

George