11.6" Macbook Air On The Way?

Toby Leftly September 24 Apple

Finally, an Apple rumor I can really get my teeth into. AppleInsider reveals that Apple may be planning to release a smaller, lighter version of their ailing Macbook Air laptop.

In a time of lousy rumors, this one actually piqued my interest. With all the talk about the iPad and competing tablets, it’s refreshing to see Apple remembers some people still actually use computers.

It’s been three years since the Macbook Air debuted to mixed reception, generally hailed as an extremely niche product for those who travel a lot and don’t require a huge amount of power.

Perhaps now with much more experience of cramming tiny components into tiny enclosures, Apple is ready to rethink their smallest Mac OS X device.

The new Air would allegedly feature an 11.6″ screen and the Intel Core i-series CPU for low power and high output. No doubt the new Air will feature an SSD, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see a 3G data package option, similar to that on the iPad.

Apple tends to release products in the wild and then forget about them, letting consumer response govern how much resources it dedicates to each line. While for some time Apple referred to the AppleTV as a ‘hobby’, the Air is undoubtedly the hobby of its Mac OS X lineup.

Written by Toby Leftly

Toby is a Mac nerd, a hardware nerd and a web nerd, rolled into one. You can find him at accentmedia.ca or on Twitter.
SEE MORE ARTICLES BY "Toby Leftly"

Comments

Kerwin Steffen
September 24th, 2010 at 1:42 pm

Whadya think, was Toby’s interest:
peaked?
peeked?
or
piqued?

John C
September 25th, 2010 at 7:18 pm

Did he not originally say piqued, or are you being a wise-guy?

Kerwin Steffen
September 30th, 2010 at 10:00 am

He originally used one of the other choices. Now he has corrected it. I was only trying to nudge him in the direction of precise word choice, and he fixed what I’m sure was only an oversight.

aaa
September 25th, 2010 at 2:57 am

Yeh but who cares if it’s gonna be about 3x the price of, say, the MSI Wind U200

Heat Shrink
September 25th, 2010 at 6:51 am

Sometimes I feel Apple is the only company innovating. Apple Rocks.

Jo Danne
September 25th, 2010 at 7:35 am

Oh wow, OK now thats what I am talking about. Wow.

Philip
September 25th, 2010 at 11:06 pm

If they can make the macbook air this small running a full operating system… then give me an ipad with a full operating system. I want to go from walking around with it, to setting it down in a base stand and using it as my computer. I want a tablet that’s actually a computer. My lenovo laptop/tablet convertible is awesome… if only it had the touch technology of my iphone. I’m happy to see tablet’s finally catching on, but I’m really sad to see them getting stripped down “mobile” operating systems with nothing but “apps.”