The (rapid) decline of the media industry

Newspapers

Those of us who have been classically trained in journalism (from back in the days when journalism was more than blogging and posting videos to Twitter), it’s hard to see the decline of the world in which we once thrived. Writing for a local newspaper in the 80s showed me two things that I can say are amongst my most insightful perspectives:

• Journalism has always been an engine that drives revenues
  • Real “journalists” were going to be replaced over time as technology improved

At the time I was called an apocalyptic freak. I believe those were the actual words used by an editor who was, at the time, in his 60s and is still alive today. Yes, I was correct on both counts; I wish I would have marked the date because it hasn’t happened very often since.

The infographic below that I found on TheNextWeb does a pretty good job at reflecting my perceptions of the trends in media today.

Decline in Media
Written by Sal McCloskey

+Sal McCloskey is a tech blogger in Los Angeles who (sadly) falls into the stereotype associated with nerds. Yes, he's a Star Trek fan and writes about it on Uberly. His glasses are thick and his allergies are thicker. Despite all that, he's (somehow) married to a beautiful woman and has 4 kids. Find him on Twitter or Facebook,
SEE MORE ARTICLES BY "Sal McCloskey"

Comments

Schematic
March 7th, 2012 at 8:17 am

It’s not sad… It’s time to celebrate progress!
Pop the champagne!

Mike
March 7th, 2012 at 8:56 am

How does your last figure make sense?  Just 40% of people read a newspaper (online or in print).  Fine.  Why don’t the other two numbers add up to 100%?

Mike
March 7th, 2012 at 9:30 am

For my part, I enjoyed getting the paper delivered to my house daily.

Why I cancelled receiving the paper was due to how the delivery was managed.  I travel frequently, sometimes without much warning.  Coming home to a months worth of soggy papers at the bottom of my driveway was not only messy, it was also a security risk.  I could understand it …once, but not repeatably.

Now, I get the Sunday paper out of the machine, IF I am out and IF my wife requests it.

ORLY
March 7th, 2012 at 10:12 am

Scumbag journalist:

Decries “new media”
Posts infographic.

Miyegombo Bayartsogt
March 7th, 2012 at 9:12 pm

I readdit and my tears turned to laughter.

Jonnybegood
March 7th, 2012 at 12:23 pm

We need a new wave of journalists. Find the niche associated with internet news

Anonymous
March 7th, 2012 at 12:47 pm

It’s not sad. Save the trees.

Joel
March 7th, 2012 at 3:13 pm

Politically motivated classical journalists no longer control the content of the information to which we citizens have access. This is a very good thing.

Cognito22
March 8th, 2012 at 7:29 am

LMAO . . . I assume you were joking.

AvangionQ
March 8th, 2012 at 5:29 am

Journalism used to be about finding newsworthy stories which actually had an impact on a number of people’s lives, reporting to publicize, and continuing with investigative followups then doing in-depth analysis.  What we have now are lazy journalists and commentator bloggers (which I can say, I myself am one), who take stories at face value, then move onto the next puff piece story without doing sufficient investigative followups, while we bloggers argue and rant about what went wrong.

Anonymous
March 8th, 2012 at 6:14 am

As a budding freelance journalist, all I can say is that there is a wealth of opportunity out there. A decline in print media does not mean you can’t go out and find subjects to cover and there is work everywhere. Open and fast moving electronic media is the best thing in the world for anyone who can keep up with it.

Evolve or die.