iPed Launches For $105 in China, Runs On Android

Sounding more like a banned iPhone app than a tablet, the iPed is exactly what you’re probably thinking: a Chinese knockoff. Now available (!!!) in Shenzhen, China, the iPed is an Intel-driven, Android-based copycat packaged like an Apple product and, to be honest… it doesn’t look half bad. An Android device for ¥9,600 ($105)? Yes, please.

However, this device isn’t without its shortcomings. From the looks of this video, it’s mighty, mighty slow. Though allegedly powered by an Intel chip, the device apparently only sports up to 16gigs of space, and runs on 128mb of RAM – in this technological climate, barely enough to power a calculator.

Whatever the case, this is by and large the most impressive ripoff from China I’ve ever seen – much better than, say, the KenSingTon ‘Chintendo Vii’ (which I swear is also a real product) – and proves one thing, if nothing else: they’re getting better (and faster) at this. Give ‘em another decade and Apple may want to consider taking this copycat business a mite more seriously.

Behold, as bewildered Japanese newscasters weigh in on the iPed’s sudden appearance on the Chinese market.

YouTube Preview Image

[Via Trendhunter]

Written by Ty Dunitz

Ty is an illustrator who stays up too late, and has to wear glasses. You can follow him on Twitter if you want to (@glitchritual), but he's just gonna throw your stupid PR crap in the garbage, so don't email him.
SEE MORE ARTICLES BY "Ty Dunitz"

Comments

Der Jon
May 30th, 2010 at 6:48 am

er… so does this device cost ¥9,600 (which is $1,405) or $150 (which is ¥1,024)?

Which is it?

D. Hazelton
May 30th, 2010 at 11:27 am

¥9,600 at the current conversion rate of about $0.0109US per Yen is about $105US. Don’t know where you got your figures there, but they are wrong :)

Sepheryn
May 30th, 2010 at 11:37 am

¥9600 is $105…

$1405 works out at ¥127960

$150 = ¥13661

Where did you get $150 from? The article says $105.

Plus whatever currency converter you’re using just doesn’t work… lol

Try this one http://www.xe.com

Ricky
July 9th, 2010 at 9:06 am

I think the problem is that some people are using Chinese yuan and some are using Japanese yen, which have the same symbol.

lisa
May 30th, 2010 at 4:38 pm

Ivan
May 30th, 2010 at 9:58 am

I found it for $250, so it’s not that appealing anymore.

dk69
May 30th, 2010 at 10:57 am

If its like any knockoff in china they start at 9,000 Yuan and you wind up getting it for something like 600…. 9000 yuan is closer to 1000 USD though, not 100.

Pranav
June 2nd, 2010 at 3:06 am

That’s Yen, not Yuan.

Logie
May 30th, 2010 at 11:10 am

Where did you find it Ivan?

s
May 30th, 2010 at 11:17 am

@Der Jon, you’re mixing it up with the Japanese YEN and Chinese YUEN.

mark
May 30th, 2010 at 11:22 am

hey tony duntz or whatever your name is–the Iphone only runs on 128 MB or ram and apple Ipad runs on 256MB of RAM. How can anyone perceive integrity in your techno-savvy analysis when you have no concept of memory? dunce

Jo Dean
May 30th, 2010 at 11:25 am

Wow that makes a lot of sense dude, I like it.

Lou

Durr, Jon
May 30th, 2010 at 11:27 am

¥9,600 is approx. $150

Éd
May 30th, 2010 at 11:31 am

Few months to provide a copy like that, nice job :)
If it’s available for only ~105$ that really interesting, even more with Android embed !
Is there an official website ? :P

@Der Jon where did you see that ¥9,600 is $1,405 ?
Yen-Dollar is *mainly* around ~100¥ = 1$ http://is.gd/cvUV8

Andrew Kent
May 30th, 2010 at 11:53 am

I want one, no matter the cost, so that I can find people with an iPad and I’ll act all smug under my willful ignorance. It will be glorious as I pontificate on the iPeds awesomeness and ignore all short comings, becoming violently angry towards those that dare try to point out above said short comings.

Prophet
May 30th, 2010 at 12:30 pm

You’re getting Yen (very roughly 100 to $1) and the Chinese Yuan (about 8 to $1) mixed up…tard.

tv critter
May 30th, 2010 at 12:34 pm

Um. the “Apad” has been around for a couple of weeks now.
Ebay it.
What’s the big deal?

sereal
May 30th, 2010 at 2:50 pm

do you guys think that this iPed thingy will ruin iPad market ?
i dont think so…

Markus
May 31st, 2010 at 3:31 pm

I don’t think it’s the iPed that wil ruin Apple’s business… but maybe some of the other Android tablets that we will see in near future…

lisa
May 30th, 2010 at 4:22 pm

dave
May 30th, 2010 at 5:01 pm

if you watch the video, it clearly says 730 yuan, 9600 yen.
and anyway, it is android based, nothing to do with apples osx.
so what is the problem. there is no “ripoff” here.
simply competition from android, which is far superior in any case.

Dave.

Der Jon
May 30th, 2010 at 8:27 pm

Err… sorry guys, but last time I checked, Shenzhen is in China, not Japan. You guys are all converting Japanese Yen into US dollars….. when you should be converting Chinese Yen (or RMB) into US dollars.

I’m using Google to calculate the currency conversion, so I doubt there is anything wrong with my converter…. human error is the problem here….

Carman
June 2nd, 2010 at 11:29 am

It costs 730 yuan/rmb/Chinese dollars, which is 9600 yen/Japanese dollars. Either way it should be around 105 USD, ugh, get your facts straight.

Lk
May 30th, 2010 at 10:18 pm

I love this, but looking at it, it’s so underpowered.

Poppi
May 30th, 2010 at 10:18 pm

“Look… me and the McDonald’s people got this little misunderstanding. See, they’re McDonald’s… I’m McDowell’s. They got the Golden Arches, mine is the Golden Arcs. They got the Big Mac, I got the Big Mick. We both got two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles and onions, but their buns have sesame seeds. My buns have no seeds.”

mut
July 12th, 2010 at 7:49 am

LOL, classic film right there!

SbOb
May 30th, 2010 at 10:19 pm

Amesome – USB support & ‘supports tons of filetypes’ puts it head & shoulders above the iPad!
If they churn one out with more memory & a faster processor for a little bit more cash it would sell like crazy.

Hell, if this one can run Google maps decently it would make a pretty good big screen sat-nav.

Argey
May 30th, 2010 at 10:58 pm

I’m in Hong Kong and go across the boundary to mainland China sometimes. ¥ is used to represent Chinese Yuan there, although it’s more often seen representing Japanese Yen elsewhere.

Argey

xerxes
May 31st, 2010 at 1:17 am

While the Iped is from China, the video is from Japan. The ¥ 9600 price is in yen not yuan. It costs about a hundred bucks.

jack attack
May 31st, 2010 at 3:11 am

Dear Der Jon,

This is a Japanese newscast. In the newscast the woman states, in Japanese yen the iPed cost 9,600 yen ($105). next to the price in in Japanese yen is the price in Chinese yuan (730 yuan). It is also stated quite clearly in the article.

So the cost is 730 yuan, 9,600 Japanese yen or $105… not $1,405

Ben
May 31st, 2010 at 3:12 am

Yeah just got back from HK/Shenzhen area and saw them in the local market with the cell phones. I saw many people lined up to buy them and though man these chinese have a lot of money to be buying black market Ipads. Upon a closer look I saw the Apad/Iped device and they are right it’s slow and doesn’t last more than a few hours on battery. But for the price of 750 yuan it would be a good ebook reader for sure.

BTW the exchange rate is around 6.81 yuan per Dollar.

Mike Strobel
May 31st, 2010 at 6:53 am

The currency conversion cited in the post is from Japanese Yen to USD; it should be from Chinese Yuan to USD. Although they use the same currency symbol, the conversion rates are quite different. Google “9600 RMB in USD” to get today’s conversion, approximately 1,406 USD. Hardly a compelling deal.

Carman
June 2nd, 2010 at 11:19 am

Watch the video, it’s 9600 JAPANESE DOLLARS, which is 730 RMB. Retard.

corenfa
May 31st, 2010 at 10:15 am

Actually, at 1:52 you see the price. It is 9600 JPY (Japanese Yen, they are the ones reporting the story) and 730 CNY (Chinese Yuan, conversion just to the right of the Japanese price). Both of those figures are $106.00 american.

ben
May 31st, 2010 at 6:27 pm

LOL. idiots.

jack attack
June 1st, 2010 at 7:27 am

you people really are stupid. why on earth can’t you figure out the conversions.

shorty
June 1st, 2010 at 8:12 am

can we have some intelligent discussion about the iped/apad/ipad instead of peurile arguments about currency conversions?

grace
June 19th, 2010 at 7:53 am

Yes,you’re right,it doesn’t matter about the conversion,this is all about Iped and Ipad…

Elsie Dabney
June 1st, 2010 at 8:21 am

for just a few hundred bucks and with the things you can do with the iped, not bad,…it runs on android already..that alone should be considered as a jackpot already

Smestarz
June 1st, 2010 at 8:36 am

Maybe the guy is talking RMB 960 (Chinese yuan) which would be closer to that figure (US$ 105)

darky
June 1st, 2010 at 2:24 pm

After reviewing the lack of intelligence (i.e. conversions) in this thread I now know why we are doomed as a race ;)

james
June 1st, 2010 at 5:23 pm

hey will this thing work with flash?

Lawrie
June 1st, 2010 at 6:31 pm

Has no one noticed that it’s a 7″ screen NOT 9.7″ like the real thing and its made from classy plastic not glass and aluminium like the real thing. Total crap, will have no impact on iPad sales, looks more like a cheap Chinese GPS in a fake iPad case.

janelle
June 1st, 2010 at 7:22 pm

i think who cares as long as it will do the job why complain it’s cheaper then apples ipad
so i will be buying a iped 105 bucks is cheap

sim
June 1st, 2010 at 7:22 pm

I recommend you check out (Shanzai.com look at the Apple iPad – Pt.3) on utube, hahaha

Chris
June 1st, 2010 at 8:08 pm

There is a bigger screen, faster CPU with Android 2.1 (?) due out soon. From what I’ve seen, the current model is pretty sluggish.. However, its more than enough for me to read my e-books, or even use it as a monitor/server for IP cameras. All for a low low price of ~US$100!!

eddiethehill
June 2nd, 2010 at 5:37 am

This iPed looks like it could be a really good ebook reader and webmail device, especially as it is Android driven. Can anyone identify the exact model in the Japanese TV report?. That one looks larger than 7 inches, more like a 10 inch screen. For 80 euros it looks like a great deal. I want one. I have friends in Hong Kong who could buy one locally for me but I need the EXACT model number.
Thanks.

Carman
June 2nd, 2010 at 11:23 am

I think the correct name is aPad not iPed. I’m from Hong Kong and according to local newspaper the Japanese reporters got the name wrong. Link : http://hk.news.yahoo.com/article/100601/4/icuv.html

eddiethehill
June 3rd, 2010 at 4:09 am

Thanks Carman. I read the page through a translator. I’m still looking for a spec sheet for this thing. None of the photos on chinagrabber website have the same side connections as the machine in the TV report. They all have fewer ports and seem to lack the larger USB? socket.
Do you know if these iPeds have shown up in HK shops yet?
Thanks.
ETH

Nafi Putrawan
June 6th, 2010 at 3:49 am

Why everyone not talk about “Flash” feature on this device? why just make price controversy about that device? -.-

george
June 8th, 2010 at 11:43 am

I actually picked my one up at http://www.ipedasia.com

I was interested to test them and see what they are like.

In all honesty, they aren’t too bad at all!

Adrian
June 8th, 2010 at 3:01 pm

can update to Android 2.2 ??

daisy
June 12th, 2010 at 1:04 am

buy one from caltechmall.com
it looks great!!!

Peter
July 13th, 2010 at 2:22 am

i bought an iPed from http://www.iped-tablet.com/ for $240 aud.
it came in a poorly packed box and hence a broken screen.

at first they said they would exchange it and gave me an address to send to. i sent it back at my cost and it was returned by auspost because the address was wrong.

i have now emailed them four times with no reply. not sure if have done my dough but sure looks like it. anyone considering buying from this company should be buyer aware.

if i get the problem resolved i will update this.

Panday
July 16th, 2010 at 10:48 am

Just wondering where can I buy that said iped here in Manila Phil.?

Nonoy
November 10th, 2010 at 12:16 am

sells here in bacolod city for 4,000 bucks. darn cheap! i’m using it as an e-book reader;)

Fanzy
July 18th, 2010 at 1:20 am

Hello

The best Seller for Tablet Android it’s the Iped 1 .2 Ghz with 512 Mo. You can find in EUrope on this seller .

More attention take With 512 Memory

I leave in Serbie . I received my Tablet Android in 6 Days .

to Der John
July 22nd, 2010 at 12:29 am

The article is discussing Yen.

Yes its from China , but the reporter is Japanese. The language on the screen is Japanese and not Chinese.
It’s being broadcasted on JNN – a Japanese news channel.

They are quoting the price in Japanese Yen, in Japanese language over a Japanese network to a Japanese audience.

But for what it’s worth I agree with you, human error is the problem here. FAIL.

Huang Shi Ren
July 27th, 2010 at 1:25 am

Well, I’m a Chinese and days ago happened to get access to an iPed, well, more precisely, an upgraded, or 2G iPed prototype
It’s funny on that:
1) Upgraded to Android 2.2
2) FM receiver and transmitter
3) 802.11n WIFI model
4) A place-holder for GPS…. not very certain… may not appear in final product to cost controll.
5) still no camera
And the price is… $175, or !¥1200 China RMB

Peter
August 9th, 2010 at 3:51 am

Well i have had no replies from http://www.iped-tablet.com/.
DO NOT BUY FROM THIS COMPANY.

dan
August 23rd, 2010 at 7:03 am

where did you find one upgraded at that price?

jay
September 5th, 2010 at 7:08 am

I already have one! iped MID760.
I’m from manila philippines. i purchased it for only 3800 pesos = 76USD if 1USD=50pesos
I purchased it at 168 shopping mall in divisoria :)

gene
September 12th, 2010 at 12:59 pm

hi jay,
how is the performance? i am planning to buy one for myself intended for wifi use only. can you provide some reviews? from what store did you buy it?

noel
September 20th, 2010 at 10:30 pm

Hi, Does anyone know how to unlock the IPED I bought?. the padlock was unlocked when I bought it & I pressed a key & now it is locked. Help. Noel

Prasenjit @ Ways for kids to make money
November 16th, 2010 at 10:26 am

is it any good? definitely I’m not expecting the finishing quality and the Apple UI in the Chinese iPed, but still, does it work good?

ROn
February 19th, 2011 at 5:04 am

That’s funny – 40 conversations about the conversion and 4 about the device. Now THAT’S entertainment!