What happens when you combine the iPad and Velcro

If you were stranded on an island and could either have an iPad or Velcro, what would you choose? I mean, on one hand, the iPad is a multi-purpose piece of technology that users are going crazy over. Velcro is, well, an ingenious invention but not that exciting.

Velcro doesn’t seem to get the credit it deserves. The iPad will get updated over the years, but velcro hasn’t changed since day one. A design so innovative, it needs no improvement. So what if someone decided to put both these technologies together. Yes, you might want to sit down for this.

GENIUS!!!!!!

An iPad as your on-dash GPS, or a digital picture frame. The ideas are endless. As my grandfather once said: “just put some duct tape and velcro around it and it’s like new”. Seems like something MacGyver would do.

Source: TUAW

Written by Jay Perry

Photographer and video game junkie from Canada. Follow me on twitter @jayperryMVM
SEE MORE ARTICLES BY "Jay Perry"

Comments

Codephase
May 22nd, 2010 at 1:56 pm

that was amazing!

Cespur
May 23rd, 2010 at 3:52 am

What the heck is a Velcro?

Dennis
May 23rd, 2010 at 1:44 pm

I think you need an illustration to really sell this article. We want to see it in action.

Shini
May 23rd, 2010 at 1:48 pm

Not sure I’d want to cook in front of it (i.e oil splatter) but the idea is awesome. Can’t wait around for someone to design and sell iPad holders that fit onto your motorbike ;)! (Although I’d worry that the velcro won’t be strong enough after a while…)

Dennis
May 23rd, 2010 at 2:05 pm

If I had an iPad with me I would have noticed that link to the video. Thanks for sharing that.

Russ
June 1st, 2010 at 5:17 am

No you wouldn’t, it’s Flash ;)

philip
June 2nd, 2010 at 10:35 am

Actually, you can watch videos from youtube, vimeo and other web sites on iPhone, iPod, iPad… you don’t need flash. Try it, here’s the link: http://vimeo.com/11886557

HERMAN
May 24th, 2010 at 4:43 am

wow, really awesome! I have to have to get one!

Pavan K
May 24th, 2010 at 6:59 am

Awesome post!

There are also undertones of a future where we have computation in every screen you touch – an ipad. As someone that studied Computation and loves the old dreams which inspired computers (like Alan Turing) out of Manchester – who wanted to created a calculator that had a mind of it’s own… this is signs of a new beginning. Apple have paved the way.

All the scenarios in which it is being used also go into business. A corporate client of ours is embracing new media and external business developers have ipads to display solutions to clients. One day we won’t have screens everywhere… but tablets. Then what? …

One of my colleagues was working on some thing like this and I personally have been dreaming about it – so this makes you both love Apple and hate how Patents hinder startups / individuals from innovating. Or maybe not:

Laura
May 24th, 2010 at 7:39 am

Great idea, but I really wouldn’t be willing to ruin the looking of an iPad… or a motorbike for that matter… by sticking velcro in it! The horror!

Andrea
May 30th, 2010 at 4:40 am

Finally we really now know how to use the iPad!!

Jobs didn’ t have all this ideas, maybe you should send your curriculum to Apple ;)

Oliver Gitsham
May 31st, 2010 at 1:38 am

I Need to rush out and get some Velcro!!! That stuff is amazing ;-)

kalistek
May 31st, 2010 at 10:57 am

Great one! I wouldn’t stick it to the motorbike though ;)

Hedgie Holder